Friday, March 9, 2012

Benito and I

I like to compare myself to the greats in history. If they were still alive today I would consider Joan of Arc, Leonardo da Vinici, Issac Newton and Sun Tzu my colleagues.

However, I feel I am able to draw comparisons more closely to people with whom I share the same name.

Benito Juarez is one those people.



Benito and I have much in common. Both of us were raised plebeian villages in the mountains. Both us were illiterate until the age of 12. And both Benito and I are bilingual; Benito speaks Spanish and Zapotec, and I speak Spanish and English. Don't tell Benito but I'm also fluent in American Sign Language, and can carry on simple conversation in French as well as Portuguese.

Benito does have me beat in one area. He was very skilled and successful lawyer, served in political office, helped stave off the French invasion, and helped reform Mexican government. But don't worry, Benito, I'll have my LSAT scores soon enough.

For those of thinking about drawing comparisons with Benito Mussolini and I, dont. We are no longer on speaking terns.

No comments:

Post a Comment